[CentOS] USB stick query

Mon Jul 6 02:33:27 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> On 07/03/2015 03:43 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I've tried this again, and it does not seem to work.
>>> Have you actually tried it?
>
>> I don't have a CentOS system here that I can reboot readily.  And it
>> occurs to me that if I did, I didn't ask if your system boots via BIOS
>> or UEFI.
>
> Thanks for your response.
> It boots via BIOS, and in fact boots into CentOS-7/KDE on a USB stick
> (that is how I installed CentOS-7), and into Fedora-21/KDE on a stick.
>
> But it doesn't boot back into the CentOS-7 system that is normally running
> if I say "sudo grub2-install /dev/sdc" (the USB stick is sdc).
> It just comes up with the repeated "-",
> which I take to mean it has found the boot-loader on the USB stick,
> but has not found the kernel on /dev/sda6.

i think that command is ambiguous because there's four distinct parts
to GRUB. The boot.img goes in the MBR (or GPT BIOS Boot partition),
which is all the /dev/sdc is telling it; the core.img and the extra
modules have to go in a directory on that same device. So you have to
tell it where. And in that same directory you need to put a grub.cfg,
using grub2-mkconfig.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Invoking-grub_002dinstall

Such as this example where you have, /dev/sdb1 as ext4 with a boot/
directory on it, and you've mounted it at /mnt

grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdc

Another possibility is using grub2-mkrescue.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Invoking-grub_002dmkrescue

--
Chris Murphy