[CentOS] rsyslog.conf

Thu Jul 23 15:55:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, July 23, 2015 9:31 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Windsor Dave (AdP/TEF7) wrote:
>>> Behalf Of Leon Fauster
>>>Outlook forces you to write above ? :-)
>> Perhaps I should say instead that it "strongly encourages" top posting,
and all our internal emails follow that convention.
>> It's habit-forming.... :-)
>> Best regards
>
> Yeah, and it's an M$ innovation I *really* dislike. I've had
disagreements
> with my wife about that. What was it, Lookout, er Outlook '08 that did
that?

> The *real* issue is that the way email traditionally was, with bottom
posting, or intercollation, made it *readable*, and esp. if you come
into
> a thread late, you could figure out what was going on.

"Come to the thread late" argument is the only rationale for "no top
posting" in case of mail lists I can figure myself. Plus to have all
messages in some standard format.

I hope, the following will make piece between you and your wife. In
regular e-mail exchange both parties are constantly "in sync", thus
understand what previous statements this particular message deals with.
Therefore I personally find it advantageous in private exchange to have
new information - i.e. message I'm writing - be right at the top of
current e-mail. This is my current message I want my recipient to read
(but the rest of exchange is after it as well for recipient's
convenience). I can say many bad words about Microsoft, but this rationale
for private mail exchange is something I will not blame them about.

So far I collected two arguments to not "top post" on mail lists:

1. standardized format of all messages with answers (like the whole thread
in front of your eyes, and it is always in the same format)

2. easier reading for "new comers" to the thread: in chronological order.

Any others rationales?

Valeri

> I don't know of any written language on the planet that reads from the
bottom up... and if *anyone* doesn't top post, like a lot of us, it
makes
> it unreadable (up, down, up, down, down, up....)... which is why the
generally-agreed convention on every mailing list I'm on is traditional
format.