[CentOS] Using Mariadb databases from old server

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jun 1 10:19:37 UTC 2015

Richard wrote:

> The approach you can/need to take depends a bit on the type of db
> table you have. If it's a MyISAM type you can (generally) simply
> move the various db files from one machine to another. See:
>
> <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/copying-databases.html>
>
> for some specific notes. I always move the whole directory.
>
> If they are InnoDB tables, see the notes at:
>
> <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-migration.html>
>
> for details.
>
> Look at:
>
> <http://serverfault.com/questions/487159/what-is-the-ibdata1-file-in-my-var-lib-mysql-directory>
>
> for details on what's in the ibdata1 file.
>
> You need to have mysql/mariadb shut down when you move the files.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Actually I had already taken a rather longer path:
I installed a MySQL server on my Fedora laptop,
and transferred the directory /var/lib/mysql from the dead computer.
This ran perfectly, so I could export the table in question,
and install it on my server.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net