[CentOS] Native ZFS on Linux

Joerg Schilling

Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 1 11:42:58 UTC 2015

Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam.net> wrote:

> I have a question that has been puzzling me for some time ... what is
> the reason RedHat chose to go with btrfs rather than working with the
> ZFS-on-Linux folks (now OpenZFS)?  Is it a licensing issue, political, etc?

There is no licensing issue, but there are OpenSource enemies that spread a
fairy tale about an alleged licensing issue.

The only problem with integrating ZFS into Linux is that the VFS interface from
Linux is inferior to the one from OpenSolaris and as a result, there is a need
to first implement missing interfaces.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin