[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jun 23 18:52:58 UTC 2015

On 6/23/2015 11:23 AM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>        AIX does use lvm a lot. Main difference is their filesystem
> allows live shrinking. Kinda nice to dynamically size a partition
> depending on needs, as opposite to the so often suggested approach of
> formatting the entire drive as one single partition. Symlinking is
> great until whatever the destination is does not mount. I myself use
> lvm as disks for my vm clients, which xenserver does too (not my fault
> I promise!). It is faster than an image file.

While it has the same concepts, physical volumes, volume groups, logical
volumes, the LVM in AIX shares only the initials with Linux.  I've heard
that Linux's LVM was based on HP-UX's design.

in AIX, the LVM is tightly integrated with file system management, so
you issue the command to grow a file system, and it automatically grows
the underlying logical volume.   the OS itself can automatically grow
file systems when its installing software. Also, in AIX, the volume
manager is the raid manager, you say 'copies = 2' as an attribute of a
LV, and data is mirrored.