[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 13:21:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, John R Pierce wrote:

> While it has the same concepts, physical volumes, volume groups, logical
> volumes, the LVM in AIX shares only the initials with Linux.  I've heard
> that Linux's LVM was based on HP-UX's design.

Sure, and IRIX had a similar concept, although my experiences with that were
slightly less good than with LVM on linux.

> in AIX, the LVM is tightly integrated with file system management, so you
> issue the command to grow a file system, and it automatically grows the
> underlying logical volume.   the OS itself can automatically grow file
> systems when its installing software. Also, in AIX, the volume manager is the
> raid manager, you say 'copies = 2' as an attribute of a LV, and data is
> mirrored.

Without knowing the details, this is possibly just semantics.  With lvresize,
you can resize the LV and the filesystem in one go.  With lvcreate --type
raid1 you can specify that a given LV is RAID1 mirrored.

jh