[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

Sun Jun 28 18:50:09 UTC 2015
Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>

Greetings,

I'm rebuilding a machine to function as a gateway/router to Verizon DSL.

It has two NICs eth0 and eth1 (static set to 192.168.1.1).

eth0 connects to the DSL modem.

I've setup Verizon DSL usine pppoe-setup, and it works.

I can connect from home machines to the server (192.168.1.1); while logged
in to the server, I can connect to both the internet, and the home
machines.

But ...

I can't connect from the home machines directly to the Internet.

I have set
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
in /etc/sysctl.conf

I haven't setup the firewall yet (dangerous, I know) until I get the
connectivity working.

I'm obviously overlooking some other configuration settings required for
machines inside the network being able to connect through the
gateway/router.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com