[CentOS] Redistributing CentOS as part of a package

Mon Jun 1 18:32:15 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/01/2015 11:09 AM, Digimer wrote:
> On 01/06/15 12:00 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I'm developing a program that is not a distro, per-se, but sort of
>> acts like one. Basically, it's a modified CentOS ISO with some extra
>> RPMs added, unneeded RPMs removed and containing a modified boot screen
>> and install selection list.
>>
>>   The list says "CentOS", so a user knows the installed appliance will
>> be based on CentOS, but it also has our project's branding along with it
>> (splash screen, our custom installer's images and text, etc). We do not
>> modify /etc/issue, /etc/redhat-release or so one.
>>
>>   So I wanted to ask the community if this is OK, as I think I'm sitting
>> in something of a gray area between a straight custom CentOS ISO and a
>> new distro. If this isn't the right place to ask, a pointer to the right
>> place would be much appreciated.
>>
>>   I am happy to answer any further questions (here or in private) from
>> the CentOS team if it would help clarify things.
>>
>> Cheers!
>
> Woops'ed the Subject; s/package/project/
>
> An auspicious start! :)

You can't do that and be in agreement with the terms of our logo/name
trademark usage rules.

But you COULD do this:

Not mess with the installer, repodata, or directories and files we put
on the ISO .. but, in a separate directory on the media, add in your
packages and install them via a kickstart instead so it installs non
modified CentOS and THEN your packages.

If you MODIFY items we provide, you can not say it is CentOS (so you
need to rebrand).  If you add things to it on the end, then you can call
it "your program on CentOS Linux".

The bottom line is, you can't change the files we create or the
repodata/installer and still call it CentOS.

And before someone complains, you also can't take a Debian (or Ubuntu or
Fedora, etc) install iso, and modify the installer to change the content
then distribute it and call it Debian (or Ubuntu or Fedora).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes