[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Mon Jun 8 00:25:50 UTC 2015
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On 06/07/2015 04:52 PM, g wrote:

> On 06/07/2015 05:29 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On 06/07/2015 03:25 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> <<<>>>
>
>>> Yes it does replace your home directory.  When I do a fresh
>>> install, I back up my home directory on a usb drive and then copy
>>> it back after the install.  I think you can also 'muck' with the
>>> partitioning, but I have always taken a more conservative route.
>>>
>>> Good Luck!!!
>>>
>>> Greg
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response! I don't like it but thank you! :)
> .
> then you should give some thought to creating a partition for /home.
>
> such gives you ability to mount the partition as /home and not have
> to worry about losing, backing up /home.
>
> that is, you should keep /home backed up, but with it as it's own
> partition, you do not have to restore /home into a new install.
>
> like that better? :-)

Maybe some more information about my setup would help.

My situation is I have 7 separate Linux  partitions and a swap area. One
of the partitions is /home, so it's already in its own partition.
I want to keep the partitions for CentOS exactly as I have them in terms
of size, etc. In the past, even when I've done a "clean" Linux install,
the existing system partitions were cleared and repopulated, and the
existing /home was not touched in any way.

So, I'm not sure how to interpret what you said. Can I get the same
results from a CentOS install using some combination of options?

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                          -- David Letterman