[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Mon Jun 8 16:33:21 UTC 2015
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On 06/07/2015 10:11 PM, Peter wrote:
> On 06/08/2015 12:25 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> My situation is I have 7 separate Linux  partitions and a swap area. One
>> of the partitions is /home, so it's already in its own partition.
>> I want to keep the partitions for CentOS exactly as I have them in terms
>> of size, etc. In the past, even when I've done a "clean" Linux install,
>> the existing system partitions were cleared and repopulated, and the
>> existing /home was not touched in any way.
>>
>> So, I'm not sure how to interpret what you said. Can I get the same
>> results from a CentOS install using some combination of options?
>
> Yes, since you already have a partition explicitly for /home you just
> need to specify custom partitioning before you begin the install,
> re-select all your partitions back to the same mount point (you will see
> them, they just need to be selected and have the mount point specified)
> and make sure that /home (and any other partitions you explicitly don't
> want wiped) are not selected for formatting.  The installer will take
> care of the rest.
>
> Make sure you are backed up just in case you muck things up, but it
> shouldn't be an issue.
>

> Peter

YAY! I think this is exactly what I did at one time. OK, I'll back up
JUST in case, but I am hoping this solution plays out well. :)

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                          -- David Letterman