[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Mon Jun 8 23:12:54 UTC 2015
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On 06/08/2015 02:00 PM, g wrote:

> On 06/08/2015 11:34 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On 06/07/2015 11:05 PM, g wrote:
>>> On 06/07/2015 07:25 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> <<>>

>>> because your are playing with multi flavors,
>>>  [i bet you like going to baskin-robbins for ice cream ;-) ]
>>> a solution for you would be what i did some years back and i was
>>> playing with diff flavors, my "/home" partition was mounted in
>>> new install as /home2 and i let installation setup a /home in /.
>>>
>>> after install and booting it, as root i moved the newly created
>>> "user" home to the /home2 directory, renamed it to the 'user-flavor',
>>> then linked that back into the install /home and renamed it to
>>> "username" and changed ownership to "user"
>>>
>>> which then gave me:
>>>
>>> /home/username --> /home2/user-flavor
>>>
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
>>> so that in /home2 i had:
>>>
>>>   /home2/geo-fc3
>>>         /geo-fc4
>>>         /geo-mandrake
>>>         /geo-flavor-x
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
>>>         /geo-flavor-y
>>>
> only thing that some might call a disadvatage is
>>> i hope you can see how i did this. i am of terse thinking and
>>> do not always go into detail enough.
>>
>> Another creative approach and one I'd thought of also!
>> But...not my first choice.
>
> did you do more than just think about it?
>
> just what do you want for a 1st choice?

I think Peter addressed my concern and responded in a way that leads me
to believe a /home2 as you suggest is not necessary since it will be
bypassed in terms of any installation, which is what I want.

> advantages of /home2 is you have a user home directory for all your
> flavors sitting in 1 partition that will not get erased because
> you are allocating it's own mount point when you install.

 I do not have and do not want one partition for my system (files). I
have ONE flavor with many partitions and mount points. A rather "old
school" approach that's worked pretty well for me all these years.

> because you are using thunderbird for email client, you can set up
> Mail, ImapMail, News paths in there own director,
>
> same applies to firefox bookmarks, passwords, certificates, etc.
> such as;
>
>   /home/moz/
>        /moz/firefox
>        /moz/thunderbird
>
> then link them to your 'flavor' user directory. same goes for your
> address book files abook.mab and abook-XX.mab, and other directories
> and files that are not path critical.
>
> only thing that some might call a disadvantage is all moz progs will
> be same, unless you happen to need something in an add-on that is
> path specific.
>
> there are many other progs that are not 'hard set' with path names.

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                          -- David Letterman