[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Tue Jun 9 00:08:04 UTC 2015
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 06/08/2015 06:12 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On 06/08/2015 02:00 PM, g wrote:
<<<>>>

>> just what do you want for a 1st choice?
>
> I think Peter addressed my concern and responded in a way that leads
> me to believe a /home2 as you suggest is not necessary since it will
> be bypassed in terms of any installation, which is what I want.

true he went into detail. during install of os, the option of
*custom* allows you to 'slice and dice' a disk into however many
proportions of what ever size you desire.

custom allows creating partitions and setting mount points for _all_
partitions for what ever root path you want. this is how home2 is
how to mount and get /home2.

>> advantages of /home2 is you have a user home directory for all
>> your flavors sitting in 1 partition that will not get erased
>> because you are allocating it's own mount point when you install.
>
> I do not have and do not want one partition for my system (files). I
> have ONE flavor with many partitions and mount points. A rather "old
> school" approach that's worked pretty well for me all these years.

i never said you had to use one partition for any files.

multi partitions for / paths is not really "old school". it is a
feature of "custom". you define what each partition is use for.

ie, partition for boot, partition for swap, partition for /, partition
home, partition for usr, partition for var, partition for home2,
partition for what ever.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.