[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Tue Jun 9 01:35:54 UTC 2015
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 06/09/2015 01:31 PM, g wrote:
>> /home in a dedicated partition, sure.
>
> only way i have done it from many years back.
>
>> /var/lib/${DATABASE_OR_WEB_SERVER}, ditto...
>
> if/when i set up a server.

Servers are better off without a separate partition for /home.  Unlike
desktop installs which contain pretty much all of the user data under
/home in a server install there isn't very much "user" data at all and
most of the actual data is contained under /var somewhere.

That said, if you plan on having multiple users who will store some data
in their individual /home directories then /home might be in order for a
server, it all depends on your individual needs, it's just that on a
server I don't automatically create a massive /home like I would on a
desktop.

Peter