[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Tue Jun 9 01:43:12 UTC 2015
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 06/08/2015 08:35 PM, Peter wrote:
> On 06/09/2015 01:31 PM, g wrote:
>>> /home in a dedicated partition, sure.
>>
>> only way i have done it from many years back.
>>
>>> /var/lib/${DATABASE_OR_WEB_SERVER}, ditto...
>>
>> if/when i set up a server.
>
> Servers are better off without a separate partition for /home.  Unlike
> desktop installs which contain pretty much all of the user data under
> /home in a server install there isn't very much "user" data at all and
> most of the actual data is contained under /var somewhere.
>
> That said, if you plan on having multiple users who will store some data
> in their individual /home directories then /home might be in order for a
> server, it all depends on your individual needs, it's just that on a
> server I don't automatically create a massive /home like I would on a
> desktop.

"every server has a story". :-D

"if the foo shits, wear it". ;-)

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.