[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Tue Jun 9 02:13:54 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 6/8/2015 6:35 PM, Peter wrote:

>> >only way i have done it from many years back.

>> >if/when i set up a server.
> Servers are better off without a separate partition for /home.  Unlike
> desktop installs which contain pretty much all of the user data under
> /home in a server install there isn't very much "user" data at all and
> most of the actual data is contained under /var somewhere.

I tend to install my virtual host websites under
/home/someuser/public_html where there's a someuser for each vhost. the
default /var/www website is generally completely stubbed off and not
even used.