[CentOS] (no subject)

Tue Jun 9 01:44:26 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 08:03:29PM -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2015, at 7:46 PM, michael wright <michael_j.w09 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello my name is Michael I am new to (CENTOS) what I would like to do is run the software as a dual boot  how can I do this I have a 2TB Harddrive  with 4GB DDR3 Memory Intel Core i5 processor 2300.
>
> I assume you’re setting up dual boot between Windows and CentOS?  Its generally easier to install Windows first, then set aside unpartioned space to install CentOS on after the windows install is complete.

My other post in this thread tells you how to free up some space on the
drive (after a Windows install) into which  you can install Centos. This
one tells you how to install Centos-7 into that space AND make it
dual-boot with Windoze.

The default Centos installation(s) do not recognize the windows
installation as a bootable alternative (or at least mine didn't) and
therefore do not automatically give you dual-boot capability.

But here's how to solve that (I'm pretty sure this works only for Centos-7):

1. so the first step is to go ahead and install Centos in the free space.
2. boot it up, run "yum update" to update any packages that have been
   updated since your CD image was made.
3. install the epel repo for your version of  Centos (presumably you're
   going to install  Centos-7). "yum install -y epel-release"
4. Do "yum install ntfs-3g ntfsprogs"
5. Then run: "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg"
and voila! you've now got a dual-boot Centos-7 and Windoze!

do not enter the quotes when typing in the recipes above. they are here
only to separate the commands from my blithering.

Note tat you'll need to be the root user for everything from step
2 onward.