[CentOS] more newbie questions -- init 5 works, init 3 doesn't for "normal" users

Thu Jun 11 15:14:28 UTC 2015
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On 06/10/2015 10:06 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 06/10/2015 05:25 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> I get /home/<username> not found when it's there and setup with correct
>> permissions -- well here I am using it in run level 5 just fine!
>
> Log in as root, and watch /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure, and
> /var/log/audit/audit.log while a "normal" user logs in.
>
> # tail -n0 -f /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/audit/audit.log
>
>> So, my normal user is left logged in at /root.
>
> /root or / ?  The two are different, and non-root users should not have
> access to /root
>
>> My next step is to take a look at the gnome startup script vs startx to
>> see if I can figure out the differences if no one has encountered this
>> before.
>
> startx runs the X server, which will in turn run an X session.  Gnome
> doesn't have a "startup script" per se, but if it did, it would be an X
> session, something that runs after / under startx.  There's nothing
> there to compare.
>
> However, you could capture startx output and execution for debugging:
>
> $ sh -x /usr/bin/startx > startx.trace 2>&1
>
> The file "startx.trace" will have a list of all of the commands run, and
> all of their output (including errors).
>
> /var/log/X* might be interesting as well.

OK, this last bit sounds promising although this works as expected for
root -- starts up gnome flawlessly. My previous setup imported settings
to use a display manager, etc. So, I need to check on this.

Right now, one of my main concerns is that my old /home
partition/direction is supposedly associated WITH current users I setup
and yet...NOT! The system does not recognize this association even
though it asked me about setting it up when I created my first real user
on installation. I had to go in and reset uids but that's no biggie and
this process has worked fine before.  I can't help but think this is
related to the startx issue.

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                          -- David Letterman