[CentOS] more newbie questions -- init 5 works, init 3 doesn't for "normal" users

Thu Jun 11 15:28:20 UTC 2015

Kay Schenk wrote:
> On 06/10/2015 10:06 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 06/10/2015 05:25 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> I get /home/<username> not found when it's there and
>>> setup with correct permissions -- well here I am using it
>>> in run level 5 just fine!

<SNIP>
>> The file "startx.trace" will have a list of all of the
>> commands run, and all of their output (including errors).
>>
>> /var/log/X* might be interesting as well.
>
> OK, this last bit sounds promising although this works as expected for
> root -- starts up gnome flawlessly. My previous setup imported settings
> to use a display manager, etc. So, I need to check on this.
>
> Right now, one of my main concerns is that my old /home
> partition/direction is supposedly associated WITH current users I setup
> and yet...NOT! The system does not recognize this association even
> though it asked me about setting it up when I created my first real user
> on installation. I had to go in and reset uids but that's no biggie and
> this process has worked fine before.  I can't help but think this is
> related to the startx issue.

I missed parts of this thread: are any of them mounted NFS? From root, su
- user, and then do ls -laF, and check the ownership and group,
*including* of ./ (the current directory).

I mention NFS because of issues we've been having here, but we're
connected to AD, and I need to fix /etc/idmapd.conf to have our domain.

         mark