[CentOS] Any alternative to Single User Mode

Mon Jun 15 01:06:47 UTC 2015
jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com>

On 06/14/2015 06:47 PM, Animesh Pandey wrote:
> I actually opened the Virtual Disk Image (.vdi) on http://www.vmxray.com/.
> I could see that despite my disk being of 100GB only ~65GB was being shown.
> All the stuff related ot the local user was not visible at all.
> After I restarted my VM, the OS gets stuck here (
> http://i.stack.imgur.com/KVYxV.png). Even after trying the single user
> login it was stuck there. But the emergency mode worked alright.
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 06/14/2015 06:28 PM, Animesh Pandey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am working on Centos6.6 on a VirtualBox on Windows Host. Today I started
>>> to have booting issues in the OS. It won't get past the loading screen. I
>>> checked and found that the files related to the user "cloudera" on the
>>> system were not accessible. Only the files related to root were
>>> accessible.
>>> This is why I was am not able to do a single user login but an emergency
>>> login was possible. This is just a guess.
>>> This all happened due to some update in the Virtual Machine that I use to
>>> run CentOS.
>>>
>>> Is there any workaround for this issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Animesh Pandey
>>>
>> I wish you could provide more info.
>>
>> How can you determine that inaccessibility to a user's
>> files will prevent centos from taking you all the way to
>> the login (or welcome) screen?
>>
>> I think something else is going on and my guess is that
>> the centos files themselves have been corruped.
>> Can you re-install centos ?
Please do not top-post.

I am having trouble following your terminology.
Emergency model?
On my centos installation, there is no "Emergency ...."
to select from the list of kernels to boot.

Also, when you say "worked alright" do you
mean that you were able to access what you thought
was missing?
Can you go to full multiuser?