[CentOS] C7: EPEL conflicts with Base and ElRepo?

Fri Jun 19 21:21:33 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 02:54:21PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 06/19/2015 05:29 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 09:01:43 +0200
> > Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
> >> You are correct, but what "more info" do you want?
> >
> > Well, a list of names of those conflicting packages would be nice to
> > have. Or instructions how to ask yum to compile it.
> >
> >> You've spelled it
> >> out quite well, you have the solution (set the lowest prio == highest
> >> value for epel), end of story?
> >
> > Unfortunately, it isn't. I was running the machine for some time
> > without having the yum-priorities plugin. I (naively) believed that
> > EPEL is careful not to create conflicts against base (I have read on
> > this very list that it's safe to use). Stuff got installed, updated
> > several times over, etc.
> >
> > Now after I figured there are in fact conflicts, I need to figure out
> > the consistency of the software installed on my machine. How many (and
> > which) packages from base have been stepped over by epel on my system?
> > How severe are the consequences?
> >
> > I need to know how affected my system is, which packages to reinstall
> > (now that I've activated priorities), etc. It's a mess that needs to
> > be cleaned up.
> >
> >> If you want it fixed you should report this to EPEL, not here. But
> >> with a large repo like EPEL this is bound to happen again and again
> >> as the distrib is a moving target. yum priorities mostly solves it.
> >
> > No, I don't really care to have it fixed, yum-priorities can take care
> > of that in the future. But I want to fix my server, to make sure that
> > all packages from base are still there.
> >
> > And I also want to make some noise about it on this list, so that other
> > people don't end up with the same problem. It should be stated clearly
> > that epel is *not* safe to use without the priorities plugin.
>
> To be perfectly honest, the differences between EPEL and Base+extras can
> usually be completely ignored anyway.
>
> While somethings may be in epel and extras .. and the extras versions
> might lag, the extras version likely came from EPEL in the first place
> and was added as a build requirement for some other package in extras.
>
> This means that if there is a newer version in EPEL later, it is likely
> not going to cause a problem if it is installed on CentOS .. and in
> reality, we should probably be pulling that newer EPEL package into
> extras anyway.
>
> I don't think, if you stay in the elrepo, EPEL, and Base+Extras family
> that you are going to be hurt very often using whatever yum finds
> without yum-priorities at all.  I would add the NUX repo to those as
> well.  If you go outside those 4, maybe yum-priorities become more
> important.

I used to add RPMFUSION to that, but as of last time I looked, not
more than 2-3 weeks ago, they still don't have EL7 listed.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.