[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

Mon Jun 29 18:13:26 UTC 2015
Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com>

> I get good results with IPCop on an older box. I happened to already
> have my WAP set up, similar to David, with ethernet cable into my
> Netgear gigabit switch. But IPCop has a zone now for wifi and I could
> hook it into my IPCop and and get all it's benefits.
>
> I haven't bothered because I'm in the boonies with little traffic,
> meaning less "drive-by" traffic/chance of someone trying to break in via
> that route, and my security key is very long and follows all the usual
> guidlines re case, numbers, etc. Everyone that I've authorized has had
> to attempt multiple times to finally get in, even me, until the device
> in use (IPHone, Android phone, Kindle Fire, ...) remembers a successful
> access completion.
>
> I'm very pleased with IPCop - going on near a decade by now I guess.
>
> MHO,
> Bill

OT but for firewalls I do lots of work with various flavors, I have pretty
much settled on Pfsense, since I most of what I run is *nix based I like
the fact that its BSD based.  I have tired and tested lots of stuff and
that is the one that I have settled on, use and support.  Just something
else to add to the list