[CentOS] Centos 6 - disabling IPv6 addressing

Fri Mar 6 15:59:36 UTC 2015
zep <zgreenfelder at gmail.com>

> I have just moved a host from a network that supports static IPv4 and
> IPv6.  The IPv4 addr is set in ifcfg-eth0, and the IPv6 via RA (I set
> the MAC so I get an IPv6 addr that I like).
>
> I just moved the host to a network that supports static IPv4, but only
> dymanic IPv6, so at this time (until I get static IPv6), I need to
> disable the global IPv6 addressing.  So in the ifcfg-eth0 file I set:
>
> IPV6INIT="no"
>
> But I am still getting a global IPv6 (and of course local scope).
>
> What else do I need to do to disable the listening for RA
> announcements and setting an IPv6 global address?  I do not want to
> reboot the box.  I can restart the network as needed.
>
> I seem to recall, once upon atime an option in /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> thanks

AFAIK/recall none of the ipv6 disabling in the /etc/sysconfig files has
ever quite worked the way it was advertised, I ended up writing a small
shell script to be executed on startup to handle the issue.  something like:
    echo "disable ipv6 on physical interfaces"
    for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth*
       do echo 1 > $i/disable_ipv6
    done

but you may have better luck.