[CentOS] Centos 6 - disabling IPv6 addressing

Sun Mar 8 14:10:50 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 10:59 AM, zep wrote:

> On 03/06/2015 10:40 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I have just moved a host from a network that supports static IPv4 and
>> IPv6.  The IPv4 addr is set in ifcfg-eth0, and the IPv6 via RA (I set
>> the MAC so I get an IPv6 addr that I like).
>>
>> I just moved the host to a network that supports static IPv4, but only
>> dymanic IPv6, so at this time (until I get static IPv6), I need to
>> disable the global IPv6 addressing.  So in the ifcfg-eth0 file I set:
>>
>> IPV6INIT="no"
>>
>> But I am still getting a global IPv6 (and of course local scope).
>>
>> What else do I need to do to disable the listening for RA
>> announcements and setting an IPv6 global address?  I do not want to
>> reboot the box.  I can restart the network as needed.
>>
>> I seem to recall, once upon atime an option in /etc/sysconfig/network
>>
>> thanks
> AFAIK/recall none of the ipv6 disabling in the /etc/sysconfig files has
> ever quite worked the way it was advertised, I ended up writing a small
> shell script to be executed on startup to handle the issue.  something like:
>      echo "disable ipv6 on physical interfaces"
>      for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth*
>         do echo 1 > $i/disable_ipv6
>      done
>
> but you may have better luck.

I ended up simply disabling IPv6 for postfix.  If it does not send with
IPv6, no MTAs will fail to accept an IPv6 connection with no DNS or rDNS
for that address.  And really it SHOULD be that only postfix would be
starting an outbound connection.  Well there is spamassasin and clamav,
but I don't believe they verify the source IP address asking for updates.