[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Tue Mar 31 17:31:50 UTC 2015
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

On 03/31/2015 09:53 AM, Ryan Qian wrote:
> As a CentOs newbie,  I'm not sure, will we still have CentOS 7.1 which derive from RHEL 7.1?
> or this is the new naming conversion for CentOS 7.
>
> Thanks!
> -Ryan

That was going to be my question as well.  According to
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2014-July/020393.html
the convention (for the 7.0 release at least) says:

"Numbering

CentOS 7.0-1406 introduces a new numbering scheme that we want to
further develop into the life of CentOS-7. The 0 component maps to the
upstream realease, whose code this release is built from. The 1406
component indicates the monthstamp of the code included in the release
( in this case, June 2014 ). By using a monthstamp we are able to
respin and reissue updated media for things like container and cloud
images, that are regularly refreshed, while still retaining a
connection to the base distro version."

I would have assumed that this release would be "7.1.1503", and the URL
on at least one mirror has:

http://mirror.fdcservers.net/centos/7.1.1503/

Guess if that's the new convention, I'll need to keep my ISO files
sorted out somehow, as this progression isn't intuitive:

CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-DVD.iso
CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1503.iso

-Greg