[CentOS] VirtIO drivers and CentOS 5.4(Final)

Wed May 6 14:54:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 9:28 am, lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:

>> And I, personally, would want an email from aforesaid manager telling me
>> not to do any upgrades, which I would print out in several copies and
>> put
>> in a secure place....
>> <snip>
>
>  You do not understand the situation I presented. This is about avoiding
>  a situation where in a highly complex envirnoment, due to a quirk in one
>  of the dozens of tools involved in designing your product, the product
>  suddenly changes because libc was updated to a newer rev. So you keep
> your
>  design environment static - all parts of it. We're talking business
> process
>  here, not some stand-alone, uninformed PHB decision.

I can understand you - on a smaller scale...

<rant>

I have a couple of boxes with NVIDIA cards and fancy screen setup. I have
to use NVIDIA proprietary driver, open source driver does not support
configuration. Darn Nvidia never released enough information about their
chip's internals for open source developers to be able to write more
versatile driver. I hate Nvidia for that. I love their competitor ATI: not
only open source driver is way better, their proprietary drivers are
consistently less buggy, and the same can be said about chips, at least
I've never seen artifacts on ATI cards, I've seen artifacts on NVIDIA
based cards a few times.

Now, back to my boxes. NVIDIA declared these fancy cards obsolete (the are
only about 6 years old, and hardware still does appropriate job for what
we need). There is no proprietary NVIDIA driver which you can install with
latest kernels (latest speaking CentOS 6 kernels). You know you have to
compile kernel interface for their binary driver. No way: no updated
binary driver for these my obsoleted by NVIDIA cards. So, NVIDIA locked me
on these boxes to older kernel.

So, how would you like this company after that!?

</rant>

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator