[CentOS] I Have Multiple Ips But Can Only Telnet to One Interface. Not the subinterface. How to Fix?

Wed May 20 10:47:25 UTC 2015
Matthew Moore <MooreM10 at cardiff.ac.uk>

From: centos-bounces at centos.org <centos-bounces at centos.org> on behalf of Mike McKoy <mikemckoy at gmail.com>
Sent: 20 May 2015 11:41
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] I Have Multiple Ips But Can Only Telnet to One Interface. Not the subinterface. How to Fix?

Hi guys,

I have multiple IPs bound to my Centos 6.6 box but I can only telnet to one
IP. Any ideas on what to do? I've searched the internet so far with every
keyword I can think of to no avail. I can see that postfix is only
listening on the first IP and to localhost. The IP I cannot smtp to is on
ETH0:1. I can access it via port 80 (web traffic) but the connection is
refused if i try to telnet. [image: :shock:]

The domain I can telenet to is mymodeltalk.com
The domain I cannot telenet to is inform.mymodeltalk.com
<snip>

Hi,

At a rough guess it's because those domains are pointing to different IPs:

inform.mymodeltalk.com.	3600	IN	A	52.0.33.25
mymodeltalk.com.	600	IN	A	52.0.148.79

Also you probably should use SSH to connect to the server and not telnet, unless there's a *really* good reason to use telnet.  Fix the DNS so they're both pointing to the same server and I reckon you'll be good.

Cheers,

Matthew Moore