[CentOS] CentOS-Base.repo baseurl commented out

Sun May 24 14:11:23 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/24/2015 07:48 AM, Tim Semeijn wrote:
> Weird, as all CentOS machines under my control are suddenly giving the
> baseurl of Base repo not found error since this morning. Could be that
> mirrorlist is leading but all other options I found online to debug
> the error message seem to indicate that (un)commenting should fix it.

For the Base (or os) section of the CentOS-Base.repo file, the default is:

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-7

(note: the mirrorlist line wrapped)

So mirrorlist returns a list of 10 geoip (by country) based servers
where you can get updates ... here is a way to test:

http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os

(that lists the os update mirrors for your location based on your IP)

If you have issues doing updates, I would first do "yum clean all" as
root and try again.  If that does not work make sure the server can get
a list of mirrors from mirrorlist.  If your machine does not have a
browser, you can print the list in a terminal with:

curl "http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os"

If you can get a mirrorlist and you are getting errors still, then the
issue has something to do with you yum connection to the mirrorlist
servers.  It could be proxy related, if you have a proxy . more info
would be needed.

You CAN uncommnet the baseurl, but that is just one host, while
mirrorlist gives you ten.