[CentOS] Systemd

Mon May 25 19:50:55 UTC 2015
Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>

On 5/25/2015 12:12 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On May 25, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> It usually happens when I've wanted to change versions of the same software between repos and that software has been compiled differently. Usually audio-visual software. Yum install triggers a conflict and yum uninstall on the older package cascades a bunch of undesirable uninstalls. The only solution is rpm -e -nodeps followed by installing the newer package.
>>
>> If you have a better solution, let me know.
> Stop using those repos.  Whatever you’re doing, you’re not using a repo or software packaged for the version of CentOS you are using.  Could you give some examples?  It would help to see these dependency mismatches in person.
>
> If you want to use the software, find the source RPMs and rebuild them for the version of CentOS you’re using.

I am an avid user of MythTV and prefer to install from RPM. There are
*very* few sources of those RPMS. ATRpms used to be my main source:

http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/

But Axel Thimm seems to have drifted off to better things and he stopped
building the latest versions of Myth. SCRpms provided by Stephen Collier
has picked up the torch:

http://scrpms.net/pub/

Now the problem has been less these repos than the host of supporting
audio-visual packages needed to get MythTV up and running: things like
FFMpeg, the latest proprietary Nvidia driver, lirc. Often I have to go
to third party repos to get things working.

One example of the conflicts involved here are the QT packages. It looks
like CentOS 7 ships with QT 4.8 which is what MythTV currently requires.
But CentOS 6 shipped with QT 4.6. Stephen Collier did a really good job
compiling his 4.8 packages for CentOS 6 so they could install in
parallel. *Except* for the qt-x11 package. That one cannot be installed
in parallel. If you have anything depending on qt-x11, you'll have to
rpm -e --nodeps the 4.6 package before installing the 4.8 package. The
regular yum upgrade process somehow doesn't work. As I recall it wants
to pull in a bunch of other stuff and conflicts arise.

The bigger issue is a project like MythTV being targeted at the bleeding
edge like Fedora while I want to stay on the stable edge with CentOS.
I've had to deal with this for years. MythTV will eventually move on to
a library or a tool not supported by the base CentOS install and it will
be a battle to get it to work.