[CentOS] Intel SSD

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:24:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Birta Levente wrote:

> I have a supermicro server, motherboard is with C612 chipset and beside that
> with LSI3108 raid controller integrated.
> Two Intel SSD DC S3710 200GB.
> OS: Centos 7.1 up to date.
>
> My problem is that the Intel SSD Data Center Tool (ISDCT) does not recognize
> the SSD drives when they connected to the standard S-ATA ports on the
> motherboard, but through the LSI raid controller is working.
>
> Does somebody know what could be the problem?
>
> I talked to the Intel support and they said the problem is that Centos is not
> supported OS ... only RHEL 7.
> But if not supported should not work on the LSI controlled neither.

Perhaps the tool looks for the string RHEL.
My recollection is that when IBM PC's were fairly new,
IBM used that trick with some of its software.
To work around that, some open source developers used the string "not IBM".
I think this was pre-internet, so google might not work.

If it's worth the effort, you might make another "CentOS" distribution,
but call it "not RHEL".

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards