[CentOS] Intel SSD

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:42:30 UTC 2015

I always tell vendors I'm using RHEL, even though we're using CentOS.
If you say CentOS, some vendors immediately throw up their hands and
say "unsupported" and then won't even give you the time of day.

A couple tricks for fooling tools into thinking they are on an actual
RHEL system:
1. Modify /etc/redhat-release to say RedHat Enterprise Linux or
whatever the actual RHEL systems have
2. Similarly modify /etc/issue

Another tip that has proven successful: run the vendor tool under
strace.  Sometimes you can get an idea of what it's trying to do and
why it's failing.  This is exactly what we did to determine why a
vendor tool wouldn't work on CentOS.  We had modified
/etc/redhat-release (as in (1) above), but forgot about /etc/issue.
Strace showed the program existing immediately after an open() call to
/etc/issue.

Good luck!