[CentOS] OT Strange IP address on home network

Sun Nov 1 20:59:29 UTC 2015
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

zep wrote:

>> Incidentally, I haven't yet worked out how to get any useful information
>> from nmap, as suggested by Johnny Hughes - I only get information
>> about open ports, which is interesting but not relevant to my query
>> about the 169.254.* address appearing in "arp -a" on my server.
>> I looked at "man nmap" but there seem to be an infinity of options.

> assuming nmap says there's a web server running, can you connect to
> it?

Thank you for your response.
However, you would probably have to give specific commands
for me to understand your suggestions.

There is a web server running on my home server "helen" at 192.168.2.5
which I can access with Firefox or Chrome by browsing to "helen".
(The server is accessible remotely at www.gayleard.com .)
How do you suggest I use nmap to find if there is a web server running?
"sudo nmap -v -sn 192.168.0.0/16 10.0.0.0/8" tells me
  Nmap scan report for helen (192.168.2.5)
  Host is up (0.0037s latency).
  MAC Address: 00:1B:21:9F:36:DB (Intel Corporate)
but I already knew that from "arp -a".

> how did you run nmap against it?   I'd think you would have to
> create a dummy interface on the same network range to be able to
> communicate to it.

I'm not sure what that means.

> I suspect something like a service
> processor/ilo/rilo/whatever HP calls their management interface.
> could you have powered the machine up first then waited a little while
> before putting network cables in, esp in the one labeled 'mgmt'?

Again, I'm not sure what you mean.
"sudo locate rilo" doesn't find anything on my HP Microserver,
which is running under CentOS-7.1 .
Does HP have a "management interface" on my server?
What would it be called?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net