[CentOS] Centos 7, ATI card, 30" monitor

Thu Nov 5 14:31:37 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 11/04/2015 04:48 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Yep. They got nothing for CentOS 7. Btw, we got him the full width by
> changing the cable, from DVI-I to DVI-D (dual link). Then he had to
> change it back to not recognizing the full width of the screen via the
> control ctr, because when it did, everything was distorted - circles
> were ovals, etc. I suppose I'll get around to writing him a xorg.conf
> at some time.

Mark, with the FirePro V3900 the 'radeon' driver should be loading, not
the VESA one.  Is xorg-x11-drv-ati installed?  I am running a FirePro
M7820 in my Dell Precision M6500, and everything 'Just Works' with the
xorg-x11-drv-ati package (and its dependencies) installed.  I even get
triple monitor support at 1920x1200 while docked, using the dual
DisplayPort outputs on the dock, on two 24" Dell monitors plus the
M6500's 17" display.  For using a projector, the DisplayPort connector
on the laptop works fine, even hotplug works.  I have been very pleased
for the most part; there are a few artifacts in Thunderbird, like lines
disappear until scrolled, but that might be a Thunderbird issue, and it
doesn't happen often.

For my FirePro M7820, here's the lspci output:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Broadway XT [Mobility Radeon HD 5870]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper
HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

Are you sure you're actually using the VESA drivers?  The Turks chip
used in the V3900 shows as being supported ('man radeon' will give you a
list of supported chips).

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what's going on.

Wolfy is working on the latest Catalyst drivers for ELrepo for EL7
(fglrx 15.9 as I recall).  There are some challenges, and the kmod-fglrx
package is still in testing.  But as well as the open radeon driver is
supporting my M7820 I'm not sure I want to change at this point.  There
would have to be some compelling reason.