[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Tue Nov 10 02:36:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, November 9, 2015 7:52 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2015-11-09, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>
>> XFS handles this fine.  I have a backuppc storage pool with backups of
>> 27 servers going back a year...  now, I just have 30 days of
>> incrementals, and 12 months of fulls,
>
> I'm sure you know this already, but for those who may not, be sure to
> mount your XFS filesystem with the inode64 option.  Otherwise XFS will
> try to save all of its inodes in the first 1TB of space, and with so
> many inodes needed, you may run out more quickly than you anticipate.
> Then you'll have "no space left on device" errors when df reports plenty
> of space (at least till you do df -i; actually I'm not 100% sure df -i
> will show it).

I'm fully with you on -o inode64, but I would think it is not inode number
that becomes large with extensive use of hard links, but the space used by
directory data, thus requiring to relocate these once they exceed some
size so ultimately some of them will be pushed beyond 1 TB border
(depending on how the filesystem is used). Someone, correct me if I'm
wrong.

Valeri