[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Tue Nov 10 05:22:28 UTC 2015
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Alessandro Baggi
<alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> how to perform a differential backup using rsync?
>
> On web there is a great confusion about diff backup concept when searched
> with rsync.
>
> Users says diff because it copy only differences. For me differential is
> backup from last full backup.

You can use "newer" options of the find command and pass the file list
to rsync or scp to "backup" only those files that have changed since
the last run.  You can keep a file like .lastbackup and timestamp it
(touch) at the start of the backup process.  Next backup you compare
the current timestamp with the timestamp on this file.

HTH,
-- Arun Khan