[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Wed Nov 11 07:27:21 UTC 2015
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 03:38 PM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
>>
>> That's plain bad system analysis.  Read the start date, record the
>> current date and THEN start processing.  You will get the odd extra
>> file but will not loose any.
>

> That's my point.  "find" doesn't do that and naïve implementations of the
> original suggestion are likely to do work poorly.

<.... snip ...>

A good systems analysis is a must in whatever one does.  Be it system
admin, software developer, accountant, lawyer etc.

My suggestion about using "find" was in response to OP's
question/clarification on incremental/differential backup and I
assumed due diligence with respective to designing the script.

<quote>
how to perform a differential backup using rsync?

On web there is a great confusion about diff backup concept when
searched with rsync.
</quote>

rsync will do incremental backup as already discussed earlier in this thread.

Please suggest  how to achieve a differential backup with rsync (the
original query).

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan