[CentOS] OT: bareos, Windoze, beating head on wall

Tue Nov 24 22:32:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, November 24, 2015 2:24 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, November 24, 2015 12:38 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> <snip>
>>> I'm trying to do a restore, from my CentOS 6 box, to a WinDoze box. The
>>> restore command is *not* user-friendly if you just want to restore a
>>> few
>>> files. And it gets weird.... First, I have to mark my path first - I
>>> don't just see it with ls. Then, when I do an ls, in
>>> c:/Users/<username/Documents/, it shows
>>> *MATLAB
>>> *My Music
>>> *My Pictures
>>> *My Videos
>>> *Visual Studio 2005/
>>> *Visual Studio 2008/
>>> *desktop.ini
>>>
>>> *None* of which are there. All that's there are teo files, testfile.bak
>>> and testfile.txt. MATLAB is in some other user's directory....
> <snip>
>>
>> My case may be irrelevant as what I have is: server: FreeBSD 9.3, bacula
>> 5, still here is what I have on the server side for Windows 7 client:
>>
>> bconsole
>> restore
>> 5
>> [here I chose the client]
>>
>> You are now entering file selection mode where you add (mark) and
>> remove (unmark) files to be restored. No files are initially added,
>> unless
>> you used the "all" keyword on the command line.
>> Enter "done" to leave this mode.
>>
>> cwd is: /
>>
>> cd C:/Users/[username]/Documents
>
> I cannot do that until I either mark or (thanks for telling me about
> "add") that path. dir or ls shows zip until I do.
>>
>> dir
> <snip>
> And it's still the same - it does not show the two textfiles in the
> directory, it only shows directories that are *not* there. It's as though
> the index is screwed.

Potential differences:

bareos instead of bacula

my version is 5 (bacula 7 is current; I'm not certain if it has usable Win
client though - didn't check lately).

If I were to speculate I would say that what you see may come from "too
much work" done on client side, like packing whole directories ("folders"
as I should have used MS windows language), and sending the whole thing to
backup server, but I most likely will be wrong about that as: the stuff
that walks you trough directory tree comes from database, which is filled
I bet by director (receiving infor. from fd), no matter that files are
being sent by fd to sd. Anyway, I would try to remove compression wherever
it is configured and see if that makes any difference.

But you probably need bareos _expert_, not just bacula _user_ to find the
solution.

Incidentally, what happens if you request to restore all ("add all" will
be the only command you need, then say "done").

Good luck!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator