[CentOS] Off Topic - SSL reverse proxy and Mixed Content

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 06:46:22 UTC 2015

On 09/30/2015 08:22 PM, Clint Dilks wrote:
> I have a site that I want to work behind a reverse proxy (httpd) if using
> http:// everything works as expected.  If using https:// some content is
> displayed but some content is blocked because of stylesheets and etc being
> requested via http rather https.
>
> I know that the long term solution should be to get all code changed so
> that it references
> //myserver/resource or /resource rather than http://myserver/resource but
> is there anything I can do with httpd to get this working until these
> changes are made ?

I don't think so.  It sounds like the "block" you're describing is
client-side.  Your browser, by default, may block mixed content.

Otherwise, if you have working reverse proxies for http and https, there
shouldn't be a problem.

> Thanks for any suggestions.  Below is my current VirtualHost config
>
>     ProxyRequests On
>     ProxyPreserveHost On
>     ProxyTimeout 300
>      <Proxy *>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>      </Proxy>

That is a severe security problem.  In a reverse proxy setup,
ProxyRequests should be off, and the Proxy allow/deny section isn't
needed at all.