[CentOS] redistribution of isolinux binaries

Wed Oct 14 02:58:14 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/13/2015 05:21 PM, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 03:18:16PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Related question; where do these files come from?
>>>
>>> 	http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/EFI/BOOT/
>>>
>>> I think they're grub-related, but can't prove that...
>>>

>> Before answering more questions ... I really should point out that if
>> you are modifying the CentOS Linux ISOs and distributing them to others
>> while still calling them CentOS Linux, you are likely in violation of
>> our Trademark rules:
>>
>> https://www.centos.org/legal/trademarks/
>
> That is a separate detail that I need to review; I had run across
> this reference in the past.
>
>> Those ISOs (and files) are produced by the buildinstall process.  The
>> files in question are created by anaconda-runtime tools.
>
> That's good to know.  I'm curious about satisfying the obligations
> of redistributing GPL software.  I'll try to trace down the details
> of this buildinstall process, so I can try to track down where the
> associated source is provided by the CentOS project.

The binary program that creates the .efi file is
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/mk-images and it uses
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/mk-images.efi

Those are part of the anaconda-runtime package, the source code for
which is provided by the lastest anaconda source RPM.

Currently, the latest one is here:

http://vault.centos.org/6.7/os/Source/SPackages/anaconda-13.21.239-1.el6.centos.src.rpm

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes