[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Thu Oct 22 18:00:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, October 22, 2015 12:49 pm, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/22/2015 11:50 AM, Juan Bernhard wrote:
>>
>> El 22/10/2015 a las 01:40 p.m., Nux! escribió:
>>> Kai,
>>>
>>> It is a reality, but when you look at the RHEL target audience, it's
>>> not exactly hip devs deploying Docker in the cloud.
>>> Big corps, banks and the like have a very slow development cycle and
>>> long term support is absolutely crucial, software needs to run for
>>> years on end without glitches, without interruptions, in a very
>>> predictable manner etc.
>>>
>>> For the aforementioned devs I think the best answer are the software
>>> collections, that or just use a different distribution. It is what it
>>> is.
>>>

>>> Lucian
>>
>> Lucian, they also include the newer versions. The case of banks, who
>> need specially PHP version 5.3, are a slim 0.01% of php users, the rest
>> of the mortals, like me, who needs a simple webmail like horde running,
>> have problems because the rest of the world is not developing any more
>> with php 5.3 compatibility in mind
>>
>> Saludos, Juan
>>

> Correct .. but that is not who RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu (LTS), or SLES type
> distros are for.  That is what Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Linux
> Mint and any other number of "Bleeding Edge" distros are for.  If you
> want latest and greatest .. well, then use latest and greatest.  If you
> want enterprise, then use CentOS.

And incidentally these 0.01% (even if the number is true) of Enterprise
users pay virtually 100% of RH income (the last is what the brilliant job
of individuals at RH is paid for from). Let's not forget they as well as
us have families to support.

Valeri