[CentOS] Oracle java RPM

Tue Sep 8 06:07:33 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 9/4/2015 12:13 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Years ago the recommended way to install Sun's java was to install from
> the tar.gz file because the RPM they supplied did some bad things
> (clobbered other files or something...can't remember the details). Is
> this still the case with Oracle's java RPM, or is it now safe to
> install?

we're happy using the RHEL/CentOS provided OpenJDK 6 or 7, all our j2se
stuff just works....

ok, we had one anomaly relating to figuring out the local time zone,
long story short, the lowest impact fix was for root to

         # echo "America/Los_Angeles" > /etc/timezone

(using your local canonical timezone name, of course!)