[CentOS] Rebuilding a Centos 6.2 netinstall initrd with an updated driver?

Fri Sep 11 15:22:17 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 09/11/2015 08:54 AM, Rory Falloon wrote:
> It seems that with the release of the X99 motherboards, a lot of vendors
> are shifting away from using Realtek ethernet on board NICs and using
> Intel. Our main distro. on the floor is Centos 6.2 for numerous reasons.
> Efforts are being made toward 7.1, but not there yet.
> ... but I'm hoping I've missed a step.

Hi, Rory,

You need to be on 6.7, not 6.2.  There are more security and bug fixes
in 6.7 over 6.2 than just a NIC driver enhancement.  There are probably
very few reasons to stay at 6.2 versus 6.7, and many more reasons to
update to 6.7 posthaste.

Yes, you need the newer kernel, and you may need other pieces of 6.7 as
well for the newer kernel to even work.

CentOS does not and never has supported staying at a particular point
release.  If you need this functionality, CentOS is not the right
distribution for you; try Scientific Linux, which is built from the same
sources and does feature a certain amount of support for being able to
pin at a particular point release.