[CentOS] Suddenly increased my hard disk

Ashish Yadav gwalashish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 04:55:56 UTC 2016

Hi Chandran,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Chandran Manikandan <tech2mani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have running Centos 6.5 32 bit machine.
> This machine is running qmailtoaster packages and mailbox size is 385 GB.
>
> if i run the df -h command it show 385 GB out of 1TB
>
> I have run the same command today suddenly shows 576 GB out of 1 TB.
>
> I didn't update any bulk file and mail transaction is not very high.
>
> How do i check this issue and fix it.
>
> how do i find out and why suddenly showing this much of increasing the size
> of hard disk.
>
> Could anyone help me

Basically, df reads the superblock only and trusts it completely.  du reads
each object and sums them up.

Any running process can keep a deleted file open. This means the space will
still be reserved and seen by df,
but since du will no longer see a reference to that file in the directory
tree, it cannot see those reserved blocks.

Try to see the number of open file which could be causing the problem.

--Regards
Ashishkumar S. Yadav