[CentOS] Suddenly increased my hard disk

Chandran Manikandan tech2mani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:08:56 UTC 2016

Hi John,
Am currently running dos mode not graphical mode.
Could you have any other method.

Hi Ashish,
You are correct.
qmailtoaster backup file which was around 184 GB in backup.gz type and i
have removed .bz2 type file with the same backup/mailbkup directory.

After removed .bz2 file it's gone backup.gz also which was 184 GB file.
I have run this command locate .gz but couldn't find out it.

how do i see the open files.

Could you help me to find out this file or any soln.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Ashish Yadav <gwalashish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chandran,
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Chandran Manikandan <tech2mani at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have running Centos 6.5 32 bit machine.
> > This machine is running qmailtoaster packages and mailbox size is 385 GB.
> >
> > if i run the df -h command it show 385 GB out of 1TB
> >
> > I have run the same command today suddenly shows 576 GB out of 1 TB.
> >
> > I didn't update any bulk file and mail transaction is not very high.
> >
> > How do i check this issue and fix it.
> >
> > how do i find out and why suddenly showing this much of increasing the
> size
> > of hard disk.
> >
> > Could anyone help me
> >

> Basically, df reads the superblock only and trusts it completely.  du reads
> each object and sums them up.
>
> Any running process can keep a deleted file open. This means the space will
> still be reserved and seen by df,
> but since du will no longer see a reference to that file in the directory
> tree, it cannot see those reserved blocks.
>
> Try to see the number of open file which could be causing the problem.
>

> --Regards
> Ashishkumar S. Yadav

*Thanks,*
*Manikandan.C*