[CentOS] VPN suggestions centos 6, 7

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Apr 19 15:57:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, david wrote:

> At 09:09 AM 4/18/2016, you wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, david wrote:
>>
>> > FOLLOWUP & REPORT
>> >
>> > I had lots of suggestions, and the most persuasive was to try OpenVPN.  I
>> > already had a CA working, so issuing certificates was easy.  The HOW-TO
>> > guides were less helpful than I could hope, but comparing several of
>> > them, applying common sense, and trying things out, I arrived at a
>> > dead-end. Here's essentially what happened:
>> >
>> > - None of the HOW-TOs were very clear about the need to add some
>> > attributes to a certificate, keyUsage and extendedKeyUsage.  They had
>> > different values for server and client.  OpenSSL documentation was a big
>> > vague on how to add them, but I think I did - the print out of the entity
>> > certificates showed the values.  The attempt to connect failed.  The
>> > client log is below.  I think it's complaining that the CA certificate
>> > doesn't have the ke Usage extension, which makes no sense to me.  Such an
>> > extension should be in the end-entity certificate, not the CA's, unless
>> > I'm wrong.  I checked the server and really think that the certificates
>> > are in the right place.
>>
>> Here's how I managed that in my openssl.cnf file. Lots of bits ellided for
>> clarity's sake:
>>
>> ### start ###
>> [ ca ]
>> default_ca = CA_default
>>
>> [ CA_default ]
>> x509_extensions = server_cert
>>
>> [ server_cert ]
>> basicConstraints=CA:FALSE
>> keyUsage = nonRepudiation, dataEncipherment, digitalSignature,
>> keyEncipherment
>> extendedKeyUsage = serverAuth, clientAuth
>> nsCertType = server, client
>> ### end ###
>>
>> I think the nsCertType directive may be unnecessary these days, but I keep
>> it around because it doesn't hurt anything.
>>
>> The important bit is the extendedKeyUsage line; I'm pretty sure that an
>> OpenVPN server needs the serverAuth extension. For instance, here is the
>> X509 extensions configuration for a server used by EasyRSA:
>>
>>    basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
>>    subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
>>    authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer:always
>>    extendedKeyUsage = serverAuth,clientAuth
>>    keyUsage = digitalSignature,keyEncipherment
>>
>> You can ask openssl to tell you the purpose of a certificate:
>>
>> [bash]$ openssl x509 -noout -purpose -in cert.pem  | grep SSL
>> SSL client : Yes
>> SSL client CA : No
>> SSL server : Yes
>> SSL server CA : No
>> Netscape SSL server : Yes
>> Netscape SSL server CA : No
>>
>> Anyway, those are the extensions that should do away with these errors:
>>
>> > Mon Apr 18 05:34:50 2016 VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=US, ST=California, L=San
>> > Francisco, OU=Certificate Authority, O=XXXX, CN=X.X.X
>> > Mon Apr 18 05:34:50 2016 Certificate does not have key usage extension
>>
>> --
> [...]

I'm not sure that's actually what the log is indicating. I think
there's a mismatch between what extensions the server certificate says
it can provide and what the client is expecting.

Can you provide the SSL/TLS parts of your client configuration?

In particular, I expect you'll have a "remote-cert-tls server"
directive. I'd suggest commenting that out (or replacing it with
"ns-cert-type server") and trying again.

If that succeeds, you'll probably need to review your CA
configuration.