[CentOS] VPN suggestions centos 6, 7

david david at daku.org
Tue Apr 19 19:06:40 UTC 2016

At 08:57 AM 4/19/2016, you wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, david wrote:

>>> OpenVPN.  I > already had a CA working, so issuing certificates
>>> was easy.  The HOW-TO > guides were less helpful than I could
>>> hope, but comparing several of > them, applying common sense, and
>>> trying things out, I arrived at a > dead-end. Here's essentially what happened:
>>> some > attributes to a certificate, keyUsage and
>>> extendedKeyUsage.  They had > different values for server and
>>> client.  OpenSSL documentation was a big > vague on how to add
>>> them, but I think I did - the print out of the entity >
>>> certificates showed the values.  The attempt to connect
>>> failed.  The > client log is below.  I think it's complaining
>>> that the CA certificate > doesn't have the ke Usage extension,
>>> which makes no sense to me.  Such an > extension should be in the
>>> end-entity certificate, not the CA's, unless > I'm wrong.  I
>>> checked the server and really think that the certificates > are
>>> in the right place.
>>>Here's how I managed that in my openssl.cnf file. Lots of bits
>>>ellided for clarity's sake:
>>>### start ###
>>>[ ca ]
>>>default_ca = CA_default
>>>[ CA_default ]
>>>x509_extensions = server_cert
>>>[ server_cert ]
>>>basicConstraints=CA:FALSE
>>>keyUsage = nonRepudiation, dataEncipherment, digitalSignature,
>>>keyEncipherment
>>>extendedKeyUsage = serverAuth, clientAuth
>>>nsCertType = server, client
>>>### end ###
>>>I think the nsCertType directive may be unnecessary these days,
>>>but I keep it around because it doesn't hurt anything.
>>>The important bit is the extendedKeyUsage line; I'm pretty sure
>>>that an OpenVPN server needs the serverAuth extension. For
>>>instance, here is the X509 extensions configuration for a server
>>>used by EasyRSA:
>>>
>>>    basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
>>>    subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
>>>    authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer:always
>>>    extendedKeyUsage = serverAuth,clientAuth
>>>    keyUsage = digitalSignature,keyEncipherment
>>>You can ask openssl to tell you the purpose of a certificate:
>>>[bash]$ openssl x509 -noout -purpose -in cert.pem  | grep SSL
>>>SSL client : Yes
>>>SSL client CA : No
>>>SSL server : Yes
>>>SSL server CA : No
>>>Netscape SSL server : Yes
>>>Netscape SSL server CA : No
>>>Anyway, those are the extensions that should do away with these errors:
>>> ST=California, L=San > Francisco, OU=Certificate Authority, O=XXXX, CN=X.X.X
>>>--
>>>Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/
>>

>>Paul
>>Two things...
>>
>>First, the diagnostic I got referenced the server's CA certificate.
>>And that confuses me.
>
>I'm not sure that's actually what the log is indicating. I think
> [...]

Paul
I'm not sure what you mean by the SSL/TLS parts of client
configuration.  Here's what I have for openvpn
Configuration files... comment lines removed

The client file at
c:\program files\OpenVPN\config\client.opvn
----------------------------
client
dev tun
remote X.X.X 1194
resolv-retry infinite
persist-key
persist-tun
ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\bla.ca"
cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\bla.crt"
key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\bla.key"
remote-cert-tls server
comp-lzo
verb 3

The Server file at
  /etc/openvpn/openvpn-server.conf
ca              /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
cert            /etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.crt
client-to-client
dev             tun
dh              /etc/pki/tls/private/dh.pem
keepalive       10 120
key             /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.key
port            1194
proto           tcp-server
push            "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.155.2"
push            "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
server          192.168.155.16 255.255.255.240
#log            openvpn.log
verb            4
user            nobody
group           nobody