[CentOS] Suddenly increased my hard disk

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Apr 22 03:23:23 UTC 2016

On 4/21/2016 7:49 PM, Chandran Manikandan wrote:
> Finally fixed my issue.
> As you told i have unmount the external hard disk then i checked the
> /bkhdd/backup folder.
> I saw that 190GB backup tar.gz file then i deleted and again remount it.
>
> Thanks a lot for your kind supporting to me to fix this issue.
>
> Why it's happened like this environment and how to avoid it.

don't write to mount points when they aren't mounted, the files get
written to the file system.  and don't create any directories in the
mount point...   like, if you were mounting /dev/sdb1 as /bkhdd then on
the root file ssytem (without that mount) there should never have been
any /bkhdd/backup directory.   in fact /bkhdd should not be writable by
your user processes.

I remember older Unix systems would refuse to mount a file system to a
non-empty directory, for exactly this reason, it hides stuff thats
already there.