[CentOS] Suddenly increased my hard disk

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 22 03:34:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, April 21, 2016 10:23 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/21/2016 7:49 PM, Chandran Manikandan wrote:
>> Finally fixed my issue.
>> As you told i have unmount the external hard disk then i checked the
>> /bkhdd/backup folder.
>> I saw that 190GB backup tar.gz file then i deleted and again remount it.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your kind supporting to me to fix this issue.
>>
>> Why it's happened like this environment and how to avoid it.
>

> don't write to mount points when they aren't mounted, the files get
> written to the file system.  and don't create any directories in the
> mount point...   like, if you were mounting /dev/sdb1 as /bkhdd then on
> the root file ssytem (without that mount) there should never have been
> any /bkhdd/backup directory.   in fact /bkhdd should not be writable by
> your user processes.

John, thanks for reminding this to all of us, I for one keep forgetting
about it (at least if I'm not dealing with it myself which usually acts as
a federal offense on me ;-) I know one Linux admin who removes write bit
from mount points.

Valeri

> I remember older Unix systems would refuse to mount a file system to a
> non-empty directory, for exactly this reason, it hides stuff thats
> already there.
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247