[CentOS] Apache/PHP Installation - opinions

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 27 15:04:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> So what I'd like to know is it better in your opinion to install
> from repos than to install by source as a best practice?

"Better" all depends on your workflow and your customers' concerns.

If you are always available to update all your customers'
installations, esp. when there's a security update, then installing
from source may allow you to roll out new features more quickly than
stock CentOS.

OTOH, if you go on vacation, or get injured, or whatever -- then your
clients may be left exposed when a new exploit is released. Someone at
Red Hat (and from there CentOS) will be dealing with it, and your
customers get the benefit of that work with a simple "yum update".

At the very least, I'd inform the clients of the benefits and risks of
both approaches and see what best matches their concerns.

> Is it always better to use puppet, chef, ansible etc even if the
> environment is small? I'm sure this is a matter preference, but I
> would like to know what your preferences are.

Personally, I've found the break-even point to be three to four
systems. That is, once I'm managing four systems, I'll spend less time
over the life-cycle of those hosts spinning up puppet or cfengine than
I will managing those systems by hand. Other admins may have a
different opinion, but that's what I've discovered.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W