[CentOS] How to configure DNS server in RHEL 7 / CentOS 7

Tue Apr 5 20:32:49 UTC 2016
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 5 April 2016 at 20:16, Joe Smithian <joe.smithian at gmail.com> wrote:

> How to configure DNS server and search domain common for all network
> interfaces not per device?
>

> The only reliable way I found we can set DNS name server and search domain
> in CentOS 7 is using nmcli which adds DNS name server and search domain to
> *a
> specific interface*, e.g. nmcli con mod eth0 +ipv4.dns [IP_ADDRESS]. But I
> want to set them for all interfaces weather they are configure and
> connected or not. How can we do that?
>
> More back ground information: I am using NetworkManager and nmcli tool to
> configure multiple wired Ethernet interfaces on CentOS 7. I want to set
> common DNS name server and search domain for all interfaces.
> /etc/resolv.conf is generated by NetworkManger and we cannot manually
> modify it.

Since the entries end up in /etc/resolv.conf they are not per interface ...

You can always set PEERDNS=no and configure /etc/resolv.conf manually or
with your CM tool of choice