[CentOS] Suddenly increased my hard disk

Thu Apr 7 16:45:57 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 04/06/2016 10:08 PM, Chandran Manikandan wrote:
> qmailtoaster backup file which was around 184 GB in backup.gz type and i
> have removed .bz2 type file with the same backup/mailbkup directory.
>
> After removed .bz2 file it's gone backup.gz also which was 184 GB file.
> I have run this command locate .gz but couldn't find out it.
>
> how do i see the open files.

You're most of the way there.  You've probably identified the culprit.
The backup file consumed your space, and some process still has it open
so that it's not being freed on the filesystem.

As root, look for deleted files:

# ls -l /proc/*/fd/* | grep '(deleted)'

For instance, among the output on my system, I see this:

l-wx------. 1 gmessmer gmessmer 64 Apr  7 09:41 /proc/28087/fd/1 ->
/home/gmessmer/tmp.1 (deleted)

The file /proc/28087/fd/1 appears as a symlink to a deleted file. In
that case, the process with PID 28087 has the file open.  I can use "ps"
to determine what the process is, and terminate it appropriately.